Homemade Cleaning Solutions

I have been doing all this organizing in my home and I have been going through cleaner like crazy. That got me thinking I should share with you my favorite homemade mirror and granite cleaners.

I used to be so irritated when I used commercial mirror cleaners and my mirrors would have streaks or a haze over them. I tried so many different cleaners. I then googled cleaners and found the typical homemade cleaners that were made of vinegar or vinegar and water, or vinegar, rubbing alcohol and water. Still none impressed me.

I turned to Pinterest and found Crunchy Betty's blog where she tested several homemade cleaners to find the best. You can read her post here. She determined the vinegar, water, and cornstarch mixture was the best. So I tried it.....OMG it took away all the haze and the haze never returned, I never have streaks, I LOVE it!!! Since we have moved into our new home it is the only cleaner I use for mirrors, glass, even my windows. It has to be the cornstarch that is the magic trick, it's the secret ingredient. 




Magic Glass Cleaner:
1/4 c. white vinegar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 c. warm water
1 spray bottle


I also have a granite cleaner that I use. This house is the first house that I have had granite in and I love it. It is in my kitchen and all my bathrooms so I was going to need a lot of cleaner! I was warned early on that you need to seal the granite and that you need to find a cleaner safe for the stone. Well the granite cleaners in the store were a bit pricy so once again I turned to Pinterest and found a homemade cleaner. I love it and it works great.




Granite Cleaner
1/2 c. rubbing alcohol
2 c. water
8 drops dawn dish soap
1-2 drops scented oil of your choice
(I use warm sugar cookies, yummy!)
1 spray bottle




I use both cleaners almost daily so I double the recipe and keep a bottle on each level. Quick tip - the cornstarch will settle to the bottom of the bottle so you will need to stir it up by giving the spray bottle a quick shake. I hope you enjoy both cleaners! Happy cleaning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment